Best 2011 Comedic TV Actress
by George Watches Things
The readers: Eve Best (Nurse Jackie), Julie Bowen (Modern Family), Kat Dennings (2 Broke Girls), Selena Gomez (Wizards of Waverly Place), Melissa Joan Hart (Melissa and Joey), Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation), Betty White (Hot in Cleveland)
Me: Julie Bowen (Modern Family), Alison Brie (Community), Yvette Nicole Brown (Community), Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation)
The readers’ list:
Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie), Tina Fey (30 Rock), Patricia Heaton (The Middle), Jane Lynch (Glee)
Zooey Deschanel (New Girl)
Alyson Hannigan (How I Met Your Mother)
Sofia Vergara (Modern Family)
- Who she plays: Gloria, the younger wife of Ed O’Neill’s character. She is Colombian and speaks with a thick accent.
- Favorite line: “Baby cheeses”
- Why she is great: even when the writers give her ham and cheese lines, she pulls them off with style, sometimes even with a wink at the camera.
Casey Wilson (Happy Endings)
- Who she plays: horny, single, stylish Penny.
- Favorite line: “Are you enjoying your reward points, Mr. Hitler?”
- Why she is great: she isn’t great, she’s uh-mah-zing. I love her moments with the gay Max.
Tina Fey (30 Rock)
- Who she plays: the nerdy TGS writer, Liz Lemon (aka Lesbian Sourfruit).
- Favorite line: “If I can’t poop in the street, why should my tax dollars pay for someone else to?”
- Why she is great: sometimes I think Fey really is Lemon… that’s how well she plays it. She’s never unlikable, either. And I mean never.
Martha Plimpton (Raising Hope)
- Who she plays: Virginia, a loving, yet poor, 40-year-old grandmother.
- Favorite line: I can’t single one out.
- Why she is great: I honestly believe that Virginia wouldn’t have fit in well in Greg Garcia’s former project, My Name is Earl: she’s way too classy, even though some view her as trashy. Plimpton’s line delivery is almost deadpan, and she is definitely my favorite part of that show (and remember, this is a show that Cloris Leachman is on).
Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation)
- Who she plays: Leslie F***ing Knope, deputy director of the Parks Department of Pawnee, Indiana.
- Favorite line: pick one.
- Why she is great: she’s not afraid to let Leslie have a heart. Also, this.